Boxing Canelo Alvarez ‘close to getting a deal done’ to...

Canelo Alvarez ‘close to getting a deal done’ to fight on September 16 WITH reduced fans in attendance

-

- Advertisment -

CANELO ALVAREZ is “close to getting a deal done” to fight on September 16 WITH fans in attendance.

The Mexican superstar, 29, has not fought since November, when he jumped from middleweight to light-heavyweight, knocking out Sergey Kovalev to win the WBO title.

Canelo Alvarez is ‘close to getting a deal done’ to fight on September 16 with fans in attendance

He was set to face super-middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders in Las Vegas until the coronavirus pandemic KO’d the headliner.

But promoter Oscar De La Hoya revealed terms for Canelo’s return are almost finalised, with the hope he can fight in front of a reduced crowd, depending on the state’s athletic commission.

De La Hoya told Ring TV: “I wanted to create another holiday for boxing.

“We started with Cinco de Mayo, which has become the date for the sport, and then you have September 16th.

“We’re looking forward to it with a fight with Canelo, which we’re still working on. It’s exhilarating, and we’re close to getting a deal done.

“We have to figure out the crowds, and figure if we’re going to go to Las Vegas, New York or Texas.

“We have to figure out the capacity. Are we going to have 50 per cent capacity, or are we going to have 25 per cent capacity? It all depends on the various commission sin in every state.”

Saunders was still in consideration to fight Canelo, but faces a battle to be licensed wherever the bout takes place.

The two-weight champion saw his British boxing license suspended following a controversial video appearing to show men how to hit their partners in lockdown.


The British Board took away his boxing license and a hearing has yet to take place due to the Covid-19 outbreak.

But the 30-year-old could still apply for a license to box in America, clearing him to fight Canelo.

Despite hoping to salvage ticket sales, Golden Boy Promotions are exploring cheaper opponents, with Anthony Dirrell and Sergiy Derevyanchenko – who lost to Gennady Golovkin last year – in consideration.

Michael
Located in San Francisco, IT specialist, lead product, marketing, operations and engineering teams as chief operating officer. He has a black belt in katate.

Latest news

Madcap James Bond ideas that didn’t make the cut — from 007 dressing as Jesus to a David Bowie villain – Bukipress

JAMES BOND is famed for squeezing out of tight spots in pretty miraculous ways. But an eccentric idea by film...

We need to end lockdown quickly & there can be no turning back this time – Bukipress

BORIS Johnson stands on the cusp of another critical moment in his epic battle with Covid. Last April, of course,...

Kelly vs Avanesyan LIVE RESULTS: Stream, TV channel, undercard for big night of boxing at Wembley Arena – latest updates – Bukipress

JOSH KELLY faces the biggest night of his career this evening as he fights David Avanesyan for the European...

Liverpool eye Lucas Ocampos transfer but £56m release fee for Sevilla winger could be potential stumbling block – Bukipress

LIVERPOOL are reportedly interested in signing Sevilla winger Lucas Ocampos this summer. But the 26-year-old’s £56m release fee could scupper...
- Advertisement -

Ant & Dec name Saturday Night Takeaway’s angriest prank victims saying Gordon Ramsay still sends ‘chilling’ texts – Bukipress

ANT McPartlin and Dec Donnelly have revealed the stars they left shaking with rage after their elaborate wind-ups. The pair...

Eugenie’s sweet tribute to Philip with baby name emphasises ‘Harry’s lack of respect’ towards royals, says royal author – Bukipress

PRINCESS Eugenie’s moving tribute to Prince Philip emphasises “Prince Harry’s lack of respect” towards the royal family, says a...

Must read

- Advertisement -

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you