MIDDLEWEIGHT star Gennady Golovkin has issued a deadly threat in response to Oscar De La Hoya’s claims he could beat the IBF champion.
The retired boxer – who revealed earlier this year he is planning to make a comeback aged 47 – has GGG in his sights should he step back inside the squared circle.
Oscar De La Hoya (right) is considering making a comeback to the ring[/caption]
Gennady Golovkin defends his IBF middleweight belt against Kamil Szeremeta on Friday[/caption]
And speaking last month, the 1992 Olympic gold medallist – who won a whopping 11 world titles in six weight classes – stated it would be ‘easy’ to beat Golovkin.
He said: “You know how easy GGG would be for me? Oh, my gosh. It would be a high-profile fight, that’s for sure.
“I always took a good shot and I always took apart fighters like him. In my mind it would be that easy. I would definitely consider it, that’s for sure.”
Golovkin was asked about De La Hoya’s comments ahead of his IBF defence against Kamil Szeremeta on Friday in Florida.
And he didn’t hold back as he issued a grave warning to De La Hoya by insisting he could ‘seize’ his chance to ‘legally kill a person in the ring’.
He told AFP: “You know Oscar, you know how dirty his mouth is.
“Everything involving Gennady Golovkin for him is a nightmare.
“He can say whatever. But let me put it this way – If I got an opportunity to legally kill a person in the ring, I might seize it.”
Most read in boxing
UFC star Ostovich unveils 2021 calendar as she shows off stunning figure
FIGHT LIKE A-MAN
UFC star Amanda Nunes says she wants to fight Jake Paul in a boxing match
WET'S GET IT ON
Jake Paul hurls water balloons at McGregor pal Dillon Danis to escalate row
WWE legend Mickie James' hottest Instagram snaps
Icardi's wife Wanda vows to take legal action against comedian after horse joke
Hogan vs Austin and Rock vs Michaels: The best WWE matches that never happened
De La Hoya – who has also been linked with a fight to face Marcos Maidana – hasn’t fought since 2008 after being beaten by Manny Pacquiao.
Golovkin meanwhile has been out of action since winning the vacant IBF title against Sergiy Derevyanchenko in October 2019.
Commenting on his return to the ring, he said: “‘It was a long pause.
“There was enough time to miss boxing and forget certain things. The training was good.
“I went through my standard training and it went well and I’m ready.”