TWO new iPhones open for pre-order today worldwide, including one of Apple’s smallest mobiles in years.
The iPhone Mini and the beefy iPhone 12 Pro Max follow hot on the heels of two other Apple handsets that went on sale last month.
The iPhone 12 Pro Max (far left) and the iPhone Mini (far right) go on sale worldwide on November 6. The iPhone 12 Pro (centre left) and iPhone 12 (centre right) hit shelves across the globe last month[/caption]
New iPhones – What are they?
The iPhone 12 series make up the latest and greatest smartphones from California tech titan Apple, and are the first iPhones to come with 5G.
In total, Apple announced four new mobiles during its October 13 “Hi, Speed” event, which was streamed live to fans around the world from its Apple Park headquarters.
They’re the 6.1-inch iPhone 12, 6.1-inch iPhone 12 Pro, 6.7-inch iPhone 12 Pro Max and a palm-sized, 5.4-inch iPhone Mini.
Apple boss Tim Cook said during the showcase: “Today is the day of a new era for iPhone. We’re bringing 5G to iPhone.”
He added that 5G “will bring a new level of performance for downloads and uploads.”
New iPhones – Price and release date
Apple boss Tim Cook holds the brand new iPhone 12[/caption]
Apple has staggered this year’s iPhone releases.
Pre-orders for the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro opened on October 16, while the two mobiles will go on general sale a week later, on October 23.
The 12 ships for £799 in the UK and $799 in the US, while the 12 Pro goes for £999 / $999.
Pre-orders for the beefy 12 Pro Max and midget iPhone Mini will come a little later, launching on November 6.
Those two handsets will ship on November 13, starting at £699 / $699 for the Mini and £1,099 / $1,099 for the 12 Pro Max.
We’ve put together a handy guide on which iPhone is best for you here.
New iPhones – Where to get them
Pre-orders for the iPhone Mini and iPhone 12 Pro Max open at 1pm UK time (8am ET) on November 6.
All of the mobiles will be available at Apple’s brick and mortar stores on their respective release days, too – provided they aren’t forced to close by local coronavirus restrictions.
As a reminder, that’s October 23 for the 12 and 12 Pro, and November 13 for the 12 Pro Max and Mini.
On top of all that, the big-hitting mobile networks in both the UK and US will be stocking the new handsets.
To bag a pre-order, head to any of their websites or stores shortly before pre-orders open for a chance to bag the phone you want.
Keep your fingers and toes crossed, as the mobiles will be in high demand and so will likely sell out quickly.
iPhone 12 deals
The iPhone 12 Pro Max comes with a tasty triple rear camera system[/caption]
With pre-orders for the iPhone Mini and iPhone 12 Pro Max still to go live, deals are a little thin on the ground.
We’ll update this page when those start rolling in, so be sure to check back in.
In the mean time, Apple’s finance offer lets you pay over time using an instalment plan.
The payments are made with either Baclays or PayPal and you can choose how much you want to chip in each month.
They’re subject to a 14.9 per cent interest rate, though, so you’ll end up paying more for the phone than if you bought it outright.
The iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro have been out for several weeks, and several carriers are offering decent deals.
Remember, because they’re the latest iPhones, you’ll struggle to find anything cheap. Here are some of the best so far:
iPhone 12 deals
- iPhone 12 with 1GB of data, 1,000 minutes and Unlimited texts for £33 a month for 36 months with Virgin Media – Buy now
- iPhone 12 with 4GB of data, Unlimited calls and Unlimited texts for
- £34 a month for 24 months with Sky Mobile – Buy now
- iPhone 12, with 100GB of 5G data, Unlimited calls and Unlimited texts, for £39 a month (£299 upfront) with Vodafone – Buy now
iPhone 12 Pro deals
- iPhone 12 Pro with 4GB of data, Unlimited calls and Unlimited texts for £41 a month for 24 months with Sky Mobile – Buy now
- iPhone 12 Pro with 1GB of data, 1,000 minutes and Unlimited texts for £49.50 a month for 24 months with Virgin Media – Buy now
- iPhone 12 Pro with 50GB of data, Unlimited calls and Unlimited texts for £50.99 a month for 24 months (£99.99 upfront) with ID mobile – Buy now
Why an October/November iPhone launch?
The iPhone 12 comes in a host of fun colours[/caption]
Apple detailed its new iPhones during its livestreamed “Hi, Speed” showcase on October 13, 2020.
The company normally unveils new gadgets in front of a raucous crowd at Apple Park during its annual September event.
However, the coronavirus pandemic has forced event organisers to do things a little differently this year.
Apple exec Luca Maestri confirmed in July that, due to the outbreak, the new iPhones would be pushed back by “a few weeks”.
That meant the company had to host a rather subdued September event without any iPhone news, with headline announcements including minor updates to the iPad and Apple Watch.
The big guns – a handful of new 5G iPhones – were pushed back to an October 13 showcase to line up with delayed production schedules.
Release dates were staggered across October and November for similar reasons.
iPhone screen sizes revealed
How iPhone screens have changed over the years…
- iPhone (2007) – 3.5 inches
- iPhone 3G (2008) – 3.5 inches
- iPhone 3GS (2009) – 3.5 inches
- iPhone 4 (2010) – 3.5 inches
- iPhone 4S (2011) – 3.5 inches
- iPhone 5 (2012) – 4 inches
- iPhone 5S (2013) – 4 inches
- iPhone 5C (2013) – 4 inches
- iPhone 6 (2014) – 4.7 inches
- iPhone 6+ (2014) – 5.5 inches
- iPhone 6S (2015) – 4.7 inches
- iPhone 6S+ (2015) – 5.5 inches
- iPhone SE (2016) – 4 inches
- iPhone 7 (2016) – 4.7 inches
- iPhone 7+ (2016) – 5.5 inches
- iPhone 8 (2017) – 4.7 inches
- iPhone 8+ (2017) – 5.5 inches
- iPhone X (2017) – 5.8 inches
- iPhone XS (2018) – 5.8 inches
- iPhone XR (2018) – 6.1 inches
- iPhone XS Max (2018) – 6.5 inches
- iPhone 11 (2019) – 6.1 inches
- iPhone 11 Pro (2019) – 5.8 inches
- iPhone 11 Pro Max (2019) – 6.5 inches
- iPhone SE 2 (2020) – 4.7 inches
- iPhone Mini (2020) – 5.4 inches
- iPhone 12 (2020) – 6.1 inches
- iPhone 12 Pro (2020) – 6.1 inches
- iPhone 12 Pro Max (2020) – 6.7 inches
Most read in Phones & Gadgets
Which iPhones are 'obsolete' and 'dangerous' in 2020? The full list
Watch out for this green dot on your iPhone – it means someone is watching
Xbox Series X review: The future of gaming is fast, gorgeous and finally here
Thousands of naked selfies and videos from OnlyFans site leaked online
Real Noah's Ark 'buried in Turkey' and experts say they can prove it exists
How to read Instagram DMs without the other person knowing
In other news, Apple recently unveiled the latest version of the Apple Watch – its cheapest smartwatch in years.
There’s a new iPhone homscreen in iOS 14, and fans are divided over it.
Find out about all the new iOS 14 features here.
What do you think of the new iPhones? Let us know in the comments!
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Tech & Science team? Email us at [email protected]