Search
Generic filters
Exact matches only

What happened to Texas mom Kate Wise after hand sanitizer explosion?

0 3 months ago

TEXAS mom Kate wise was severely burned when her hand sanitizer allegedly caught fire over the weekend as she was trying to light a candle.

The mom-of-three said she feels lucky to be alive, and is now warning others about off-brand sanitizers amid the coronavirus pandemic after the shocking incident.

Wise suffered burns to her body after hand sanitizer allegedly caught fire
Facebook/Norvelle Kathryn Bonesteel

Wise’s home caught fire after the bottle of hand sanitizer allegedly exploded[/caption]

What happened to Kate Wise after hand sanitizer explosion?

Wise had put off-brand sanitizer on her hand, as she went to light a candle, KHOU reported.

The Texas mom’s hand caught fire where she had just put on the product, and the flame allegedly made contact with the bottle of sanitizer nearby – and it exploded, Wise told KHOU.

A GoFundMe started by a friend described the explosion as “bomb-like.”

Wise told the news outlet the sanitizer “went all over my face,” and in just seconds, “my whole body was just consumed in flames.”

Her two youngest kids ran to a neighbor to get help, and she grabbed her daughter, who is disabled, and dog out of the home while still on fire.

Has she recovered?

The mom suffered “head to toe” second-and third-degree burns from the accident, according to her GoFundMe.

Facebook/Norvelle Kathryn Bonesteel

Wise said that she caught on fire after using an off-brand hand sanitizer[/caption]

Facebook/Norvelle Kathryn Bonesteel

The mom-of-three is said to have suffered second-and third-degree burns to most of her body[/caption]

Will Hampton, a spokesperson for the Round Rock Fire Department, told People that Wise suffered burns to 18percent of her body.

Kate is now in the ICU recovering, her GoFundMe said.

She has already had multiple surgeries, and will have more in the future.

What has the mom-of three said?

Wise’s GoFundMe said her kids are “traumatized” by the incident.

She told KHOU the accident was “something that you never want your kids to see.”

What happened in the Texas mom’s hand sanitizer explosion?

Texas mom Kate Wise has landed in the hospital after a bottle of hand sanitizer allegedly exploded while she was trying to light a candle

Wise said she had just put hand sanitizer on her hand when she went to light a candle.

The mom-of-three said her hand caught fire where she had just put the sanitizer on – and a bottle of the liquid nearby allegedly exploded.

Wise said within seconds, her body was covered in flames.

The mom and her kids were able to get out of the house safely – but Wise is now in the ICU.

Wise has suffered second- and third-degree burns to her body.

She has had multiple surgeries, and will have more in the future.

Wise told the outlet of being on fire: “I think that part kind of killed me just because it’s something I never wanted them to have to go through.”

The mom-of-three now wants to spread awareness of the incident to “help prevent this from happening to others,” the GoFundMe said.

“Covid has brought so many unsafe products to our shelves,” friend Kathryn Bonesteel said in a social media post.

“Be careful what you put on your body. Make sure what you use is FDA approved. Just because you bought something from a store you trust, doesn’t mean what they’re selling is trusted or tested,” she added.

The FDA recommends using hand sanitizer with at least 60percent alcohol if a person is unable to wash their hands with soap and water.

The FDA has a rolling list of hand sanitizers that consumers should not use.

Is her home okay?

Facebook/Norvelle Kathryn Bonesteel

Wise’s friend shared a post warning others about the incident[/caption]

Facebook/Norvelle Kathryn Bonesteel

The mom is now warning others after she said the incident left[/caption]


Pictures show a large spot in Wise’s home is smoldered.

The GoFundMe said a majority of her furniture and other belongings were ruined by smoke damage.

The cause of the fire is under investigation by the Round Rock Fire Department, KHOU reported.

Leave a Reply

Skip to toolbar